University of Calgary Big 10
- Demonstrate the basic science and clinical science knowledge and skills necessary for the supervised
practice of medicine, and use knowledge efficiently in the analysis and solution of clinical
- Evaluate patients and properly manage their medical problems by:
- Conducting a comprehensive medical history and thorough physical examination; reliably
eliciting appropriate information in the history and detecting abnormal findings
on the physical examination.
- Correctly identifying the patient’s diagnosis, differential diagnosis, and medical problems.
- Applying an appropriate clinical reasoning process to the patient’s problems.
- Advocating for patients while formulating and implementing a resource-conscious management
plan to deal effectively with patient problems.
- Applying basic patient safety principles.
- Apply a comprehensive patient-centered approach in the evaluation and care of patients including
sensitivity to differing: sexual orientation and gender identity, cultural and spiritual
beliefs, attitudes and behaviours, economic situations.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the fundamental concepts of disease prevention and health promotion
for individual patients and populations and incorporate them into treatment plans as appropriate.
- Communicate and interact effectively with patients, families, medical staff and others involved
in the delivery of health services.
- Describe and apply ethical principles and high standards in all aspects of medical practice.
- Exhibit appropriate professional behaviour, including awareness of personal wellness and limitations.
- Formulate clear clinical questions and apply an evidence-based approach to solving these questions.
- Demonstrate educational initiative and self-directed life-long learning skills.
- Describe the basic principles of clinical and translational research, including how such research
is conducted, evaluated, explained to patients and applied to patient care.
Please use links to the LEFT to access course-specific objectives
Any incorrect information? Let us know
Last updated 17 September 2020.